Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Playing While Injured

   The day before yesterday I was a wounded cornet player. My right hand got slammed in a door and I thought that it was broken. It swelled up to almost twice its size and I could barely move my fingers without my hand feeling like it was about to break in two. Because we cornet players use our right hand to press the valves, this was a big problem. I needed to get in my usual amount of hours of practice in, but the pain was almost great enough to stop me. I did everything to make the pain go away except pain killers and pills.
    I’m the type of musician that feels guilty if I don’t put in a certain amount of hours of quality practice. At the bare minimum I will do 3 hours, broken up into 3 1hour sessions.  Six hours is great when I get the chance. Today I feel real guilty. I had the choice to go to the emergency room or see the doctor and neither were a good option for me. I didn’t have time to waste sitting around in some doctor’s office with a bunch of other people who are probably worse off than me. I decided to fight the pain and  managed to work through it , by practicing long tones and lips slurs. It was good quality practice and I didn’t feel guilty in the end. Today the swelling in my hand is down and I can move my fingers. My hand still hurts a little, but I don’t think that it is broken.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment