Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It has more curves and its prettier than a regular trumpet

    A couple a weeks ago at a   Joe Gransden  jam session in Decatur Georgia.  I felt a tap on my right shoulder. As I turned around I noticed a women barely old enough to drink She said something to me that I’m sure many cornet players have heard before, especially here in the states.  “That is a nice looking short trumpet” she said. I wanted to correct her on the spot but held my tongue. I knew that I shouldn’t feel insulted but I’m a cornet player and proud of it. The woman had a simple innocent query.  The trumpet is a noble instrument with a rich pedigree. I should be proud that my Getzen 3850 was misidentified.   Just as I was about to explain to her that my horn is a cornet she continued to say “It has more curves and it’s prettier than a regular trumpet “After she said that  my guard went down. She was on roll. I wanted to here more from her. “Is that what makes it sound so different?” The icing on the cake was when she said “I love the sound”.
   It’s in situations like this one we should take full advantage of the uniqueness of the cornet. Cornets do have a pleasing and graceful shape. Any shepherd’s crook short model is an eye catcher. Notice how eyes suddenly home in on your horn when you pull them out of a nice warm gig bag or case. Trumpets don’t get that kind of response from non trumpet players. Sax players are also suffering from this little unpleasantly    Lets not forget about the tone of the cornet. I could have explained to the young woman the technical stuff that made my horn stand out but that was not what she was interested in. She was caught in the cornets grip. I had no choice but to let her experience the magic of the cornet “My instrument is a Cornet and thank you” I finally said to the young woman” “Can I touch it” she asked. I nodded my approval. She smiled and touched my horn. 

1 comment:

  1. I get the same response form people. Prettier, prettier sounding...preferred by my friends and wife over the trumpet. I can play for friends in the house and not leave their ears ringing.

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete